You must obtain a visiting permit. You can collect a permit from the:
Palais de Justice
5 rue Colonel Bellando de Castro
Phone: (+ 377) 98 98 88 11
You should take valid proof of identity and two photos in a 3.5 x 4.5 cm format.
Once the permit has been issued by the competent judicial authority: (Director of the Department of Justice, Public Prosecutor, Examining Judge or Guardianship Judge) you will be able to:
- In cash only at the prison clerk's office, Monday to Friday from 9.00 am to 5.30 pm (except on public holidays). This deposit will be added to the prisoner's nominative account (the account opened at the time of imprisonment)
- By bank transfer – please contact the Social Worker at the Palais de Justice
- Make an appointment for visiting a person in prison by phoning: (+377) 98 98 45 73 from 8.30 am to 6.00 pm or go to the Remand Prison
- If necessary, you can leave clothing for the inmate with the reception officer from 9.00 am. to 5.15 pm
It is forbidden to hand over parcels and mail must be sent strictly by post only.
Days and times of visits
Visits take place every day, including Sundays and public holidays (some times may be modified for service reasons).
9.00 am / 9.45 am
10.00 am / 10.45 am
01.30 pm / 02.15 pm
02.30 pm / 03.15 pm
03.30 pm / 04.15 pm
04.30 pm / 05.15 pm
Terms and conditions
Appointments must be made at least 24 hours before the scheduled date of the visit.
Detainees can have 2 visits per day, each lasting 45 minutes.
Each visitor is entitled to only 1 visit per day. Exceptionally, the Director of the Remand Prison may authorise a double visit (for family only).
Minors under the age of 16 must be included on an adult's visiting permit and must be accompanied by an adult during visits.
Minors aged 16 years and over will be granted a personal visiting permit subject to authorisation by the persons who have parental authority over them.
You are invited to read the extracts from Sovereign Ordinance no. 3.782 of 16 May 2012 concerning the organisation of the administration of the prison and detention system, on the reverse of the visiting permit.
How a visit takes place
Present yourself at the entrance to the establishment 15 minutes before the scheduled time of the visit.
Late arrival will lead to automatic cancellation of the visit.
It is imperative that you bring ID and the stub of the visit permit (given at the first visit, after signing in).
Undergo a security check.
2 adults + 1 child (under 12 years of age)
1 adult + 1 child
1 adult + 2 children (one of whom is under 12 years of age)
1 child over 16 years of age (visiting a parent)
Rules to be observed when visiting the detained person
It is strictly forbidden to:
- Read, sign or exchange documents
- Hand over money or any items
- Drink, eat or smoke
Visitors are requested to:
- Respect the visiting place and comport themselves in the correct way, as appropriate to any public place
- Behave decently
Failure to comply with these rules may result in an administrative sanction (suspension or cancellation of the visiting permit, etc.), possibly accompanied by legal proceedings.