How to notify a change in your circumstances for residents in the Principality

Last updated: 15/02/2024

Requests to switch to digital identity cannot be made using this online service.

They must be sent to the following email address:

From now on, paper applications will need to be made using a certified form which is sent out on request by the Residency Section. 

All residents must inform the Residents' Section of any change of address, family situation, nationality and/or professional situation

Understanding the process

See also

Administrative contact