Understanding the process
Licences to operate motorised leisure boats in categories A and B can be issued to Monegasques and residents of the Principality, after taking the theorical and practical test.
You must not have been banned from operating boats as a result of having your licence withdrawn abroad.
Category A licences are valid for sailing up to five nautical miles from the shore.
Category B licences are valid for operating any motorised pleasure craft with no limitations on its range.
To get this form, you can either:
- Download it here:
- Or collect it from the Department of Maritime Affairs
You should attach the following to your application:
- An ID photo (not from an automatic photo booth, full face, with glasses if you usually wear glasses)
- Parental approval, for minors
- A copy of your Monegasque ID card or a copy of your residence permit
- A medical certificate issued within the past three months by a doctor practising in the Principality
- Two cheques of 27.00 € and 32.00 € payable to the Department of Maritime Affairs
You should send all the documents to the Department of Maritime Affairs.
To have a licence issued in France validated in Monaco, you should include the following with your application:
- The original of the licence issued in France, and a photocopy
- A cheque for 32.00 € payable to the Department of Maritime Affairs