Formalities for stays abroad

Last updated: 01/03/2023

Please note: it is strongly recommended to consult the website before travelling abroad.

In order to improve its crisis response system, the Crisis Centre of the Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs (MEAE) has created a portal enabling French and Monegasque travellers who so wish to declare their trips abroad free of charge and easily.

This portal enables the French Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs (or the embassy of the country concerned) to quickly identify and locate French and/or Monegasque nationals who are in the country when the crisis occurs and contact them in the event of rescue operations being undertaken.

To find out more please visit

Documents required for a tourist trip

For any tourist trip abroad, it is strongly recommended that Monegasque nationals carry their passport, which must be valid for at least six months after the expected date of return.

In general, for all travel abroad, the person travelling must approach the Consulate or the Embassy of the country to find out about the necessary formalities (visas, vaccinations, etc.) that will enable them to enter and stay in that State.

Consult the table of web sites to access the formalities required for each country.

Take the precaution of keeping a photocopy at home of the documents you are carrying with you (in case of loss or theft abroad), as well as at least 2 ID photos.

It should be noted that the duration of a stay authorised at the time of entry with a passport or by the issuing of a visa by the country visited must be strictly respected, and this applies to any type of journey.  With regard to travel to the United States of America in particular, you are reminded that Monegasque travellers may stay for a maximum of 90 days under the Visa Waiver Program.

You are reminded that applicants are solely responsible for their decision to travel to a foreign country, regardless of the security advice given by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, which under no circumstances can be held responsible for any incidents or disasters that may occur during a trip.  Monegasque nationals are responsible for bearing the cost of any assistance and emergency operations that may be undertaken abroad.

In case of difficulties abroad, contact the Embassies or Consulates of Monaco or, if that is not possible, the French Embassies or Consulates

Monegasque nationals are recommended to register on the ARIANE portal. This is an easy way to register your details with the French Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs, and is free of charge.

It is also useful to consult the website before travelling abroad.


Visas to study, work or settle abroad

All Monegasque nationals wishing to study, work or settle abroad must be in possession of a visa (except in the case of France).

The person concerned must approach the authorities of the foreign country, either at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or via the diplomatic representation of that State (Embassy or Consulate).  As each country has specific visa regulations, it is not possible to recommend one single course of action.

Nevertheless, Monegasque nationals are often requested to provide the foreign authorities with certificates, as well as Monegasque administrative documents and documents from the university or school at which he or she has been accepted or the company in which he or she is going to work.  These documents should be translated into the language of that country.

In practice, Monegasque nationals will be assisted in their application for the issuance of a foreign visa by the school, university or company to which he or she applied and been accepted.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation also advises Monegasque nationals to inform the Embassy, Mission or Consulate of Monaco in the city or State in which they will reside

Minors travelling abroad 

A minor travelling with his or her parents must carry identity papers in his or her name (ID card or passport, depending on the destination).

Minors who are not accompanied by their parents must also carry an authorisation to leave the territory, signed by one of the parents and accompanied by a photocopy of the signatory parent's ID document.

See the procedure: "How to obtain permission for an unaccompanied minor to leave the country"

Administrative contact