This Department has the remit of:
- Assisting in defining and implementing Government policy on sustainable development and the environment
- Coordinating sustainable development initatives in the Principality by establishing cross-cutting relationships with the various stakeholders involved.
- Monitoring biodiversity, the quality of the environment, sources of pollution and risks of natural or technological origin
- Providing information and raising the public's awareness of environmental issues
- Participating, on behalf of the Principality and hand in hand with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in the work of international organisations in its area of responsibility
- All other duties entrusted to it by the legislative or regulatory processes